Sunday, November 2, 2008

Use for the Melon Baller!

In the wake of the Halloween festivities, I must share something profound. Really. All right, not really. But, when presented with having to gut and carve pumpkins for my two young'uns, I discovered a neat tool: the melon baller. Not only good for watermelon and canteloupe... it also can be a useful tool to de-seed all sorts of squash including pumpkins.

Gone for me are the days of an ice cream paddle or tablespoons... the melon baller made quick work of my pumpkins' pumpkins. Watch and see, you'll soon see an infomercial from that OxyClean guy selling a melon baller with a fancy name. It'll probably rhyme too.

Another tool worth the expense: a hand battery powered jigsaw. I used my black and decker for years before scoring a small version designed especially for Halloween. Much easier for the grunt work of carving and you also can get very nice looking details.

I also enjoy using staples... as in carpentry staples from a staple gun. Power tools rule for pumpkin decoration!

Don't forget to stock up now on those little battery run tealights. Safe for kids and long lasting. Some, you can even replace the batteries.

Happy Halloween!

And thank goodness, almost done with all the election nonsense.

--Vat

No comments: